How many calories does one Dabeli have?
One Dabeli gives 199 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 47 calories, proteins account for 12 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 142 calories. One Dabeli provides about 10 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Dabeli recipe. Dabeli, a spicy potato mixture combined with onions, garlic chutney, meetha chutney, spiced masala peanuts and fruits like pomegranates and grapes… how can the equation go wrong! serve plain or smeared with butter and grilled on a tava! since dabeli masala is easily available in provision stores, you can easily recreate the roadside experience
Is Dabeli healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
2. Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
3. Pomegranate, Anar : Pomegranate has anti-inflammatory properties. Pomegranate is considered as a heart-healthy fruit. Pomegranates contain nitrates which are shown to improve exercise performance. A study conducted on athletes stated that pomegranates if taken 30 minutes before exercise, significantly enhances the blood flow to the exercising muscles. High in vitamin C, a good source of fiber and low in calories, pomegranate juice contains antioxidants that will help to protect your blood lipids from oxidation and good for heart. See detailed benefits of pomegranate.
4.Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
5. Butter : Butter contains 80% fats and it comprises of many types of fatty acids. Butter has short chain fatty acids and medium chain fatty acids which are broken down and absorbed into the body directly and go straight to the liver and get converted to fuel to be used by the muscles. Due to this anti-inflammatory effect, it is said to have a positive effect in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Recent research shows that small amounts of butter has positive effects on heart health. So diabetics too can have small quantity of butter and balance it with other types of fats they consume. A tbsp. of butter fulfils 8% of your days requirement of vitamin A. This Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant which is essential for glowing skin health and immune function. We suggest you read about butter the super food.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida to make pav, which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
3. Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks.
So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Dabeli?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. The big issues are bread, potatoes and nylon sev which is deep fried. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
This recipe uses plain flour or maida to make pav, which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients.
Here are some Healthy snack options
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Baked Samosa with Mixed Sprouts, Healthy Snack
Can healthy individuals have Dabeli?
No, want to remain healthy, then eat healthy. You are what you eat.
Dabeli is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 199 calories that come from Dabeli?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 00 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 20 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 27 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 34 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.