How many calories does one serving of Badshahi Khichdi have?
One serving of Badshahi Khichdi gives 445 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 219 calories, proteins account for 42 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 170 calories. One serving of Badshahi Khichdi provides about 22 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Badshahi Khichdi recipe. While the word khichdi normally brings to mind a homely and simple meal, here is a royal version that proves the mettle of our humble khichdi. A dal-rice combo cooked with everyday spices is topped with a flavourful potato vegetable and a layer of tempered curds. Served piping hot, the Badshahi Khichdi is a satiating meal fit for a king. Yet, it is interesting to note that this recipe makes use of common ingredients and is also easy to prepare!
Is Badshahi Khichdi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Toor Dal (tuvar dal, arhar dal, toovar dal) : Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly. Being an excellent source of folic acid, pregnant women must include toor dal in their daily diet. Being an excellent source of fibre it helps in preventing and relieving gastric problems like constipation. See detailed benefits of toor dal.
2. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
3. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
What's the problem?
Rice : Here are the pros for rice. Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates, which is an important source of energy for our body. Rice is low in fibre and therefore a good option for people suffering from diarrhoea. What's not good in rice. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels. See details of is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?
Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Badshahi Khichdi?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
What is a healthier option than using rice in khichdi?
We suggest the following healthy khichdi like fada ni khichdi recipe, vitamin khichdi recipe, buckwheat moong dal and vegetable khichdi, bajra moong and green peas khichdi and barley khichdi. All these recipes have ZERO usage of rice and portion control is suggested for diabetics.
Vitamin Khichdi ( Protein Rich Recipe )
Can healthy individuals have Badshahi Khichdi?
Badshahi Khichdi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 445 calories that come from Badshahi Khichdi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 2hr 14 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 45 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 59 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1hr 16 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.