How many calories does one serving of Anjeer Halwa have?
One serving of Anjeer Halwa gives 461 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 218 calories, proteins account for 35 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 221 calories. One serving of Anjeer Halwa provides about 23 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Anjeer Halwa recipe. Richness personified, the Anjeer Halwa is a really striking dessert made of puréed figs, powdered almonds and milk powdered, cooked with ghee and a little bit of sugar to add to the natural sweetness of figs. The almonds and figs complement each other beautifully in flavour and texture, while the milk powder and ghee give a very luxuriant mouth-feel and flavour to this halwa. Every spoonful of this luscious dessert will be truly memorable.
Is Anjeer Halwa healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
2. Anjeer ( Dried Figs) : 4.9 g of fiber is what ½ cup of dried figs offer and keep constipation at bay. Being a good source of potassium, dried figs can help balance the sodium and potassium ratio, thus controlling blood pressure and good for heart. Yes, figs contain a good amount of fiber which is sure to benefit you by keeping you full for longs hours and helping in weight loss. But do not overlook the fact that they are high in calories too. So do not over eat. The antioxidant phenol and fiber both work together to eliminate free radicals which would otherwise damage blood vessels and trigger heart diseases. See detailed benefits of anjeer, dried figs.
3. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
4. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Anjeer Halwa?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. But do not overlook the fact that FIGS are high in calories too. So do not over eat. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery or oats and dates kheer.
Low Fat Carrot Halwa, Healthy Gajar Halwa
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is s a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Can healthy individuals have Anjeer Halwa?
Yes, but in moderation.
Anjeer Halwa is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4.Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
5. Vitamin E : Vitamin E balances cholesterol levels, repairs damaged skin and keeps hair shiny.
6. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 461 calories that come from Anjeer Halwa?
Walking (6 kmph) = 2 hrs 18 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 46 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 1 hr 1 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hr 19 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.