Besan Chilla, Besan Cheela by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 413 times
When we think of Indian pancakes, dosa and chilla are two of the first options that come to our mind. While dosa is a taken-for-granted breakfast in South India, chilla is an equally popular option as you go up North, especially in Gujarat and Rajasthan. The Besan Chilla is very convenient and easy to make as the batter does not require any soaking, grinding or fermentation. Just mix together besan and a couple of readily-available spice powders, and you are ready to cook the pancakes. Make sure you cook the chilla well with sufficient oil till it is golden brown; otherwise it might have a raw smell. Once done, serve immediately with ketchup and green chutney. You can enjoy the Besan Chilla for breakfast or as an evening snack.
Recipe Description for Besan Chilla, Besan Cheela
- Combine the besan, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and whisk well.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle.
- Smear 1 tsp of oil evenly over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the chilla turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Flip over and cook on a medium flame for another minute and fold to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 3 more chillas.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.