Basic Toovar Dal Recipe, Toor Dal by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 516 times
Easy though it is to make, the Basic Toovar Dal is the ultimate comfort food for many Indians! It hardly requires any effort and uses only common, everyday ingredients that you are sure to have at home.
All you need to do is pressure-cook the dal with onions and tomatoes, and cook it further for few minutes with an aromatic tempering of spices and seeds.
Recipe Description for Basic Toovar Dal Recipe, Toor Dal
- Combine the dal, onions, tomatoes, green chilli, turmeric powder and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove the slit green chili, add 1 cup of water and salt and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, garlic, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the dry red chilies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.