Basic Chana Dal Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 507 times
Nourishing and tasty, the Basic Chana Dal is a wonderful accompaniment to rice and Indian breads like rotis or phulkas.
It tastes really awesome thanks to the apt combination of spices and dried fenugreek leaves. Amchur powder, though used in a small quantity, gives a pleasant tang to the dal.
Recipe Description for Basic Chana Dal Recipe
- Soak the chana dal in enough hot water for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafeotida, garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, dried mango powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves, salt, whisked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.