Rava dosa or sada dosa which is healthier?
Rava dosa and sada dosa one of the most famous South Indian snacks. They work for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So complete is the penetration of these South Indian snacks, they are easily available in every city in India.
There is confusion in the mind of lots of consumers as to " rava dosa or sada dosa, which is healthier ". The answer is not that simple as it depends on lots of factors.
Lets understand Rava Dosa
Rava Dosa is made from rava, plain flour, curd and Indian spices.
What's good about rava dosa :
Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
What's the problem with rava dosa?
Rava (semolina, sooji) : The pros for rava. Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. It is low in sodium & fat. The cons of rava. The glycemic index of semolina is 66 which is a medium GI food and not good for diabetics and healthy heart as there is also no fibre. Read is semolina healthy for more clarity.
Plain flour : Plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
Lets understand Sad Dosa
Sada dosa or dosa is made up of urad dal, rice, methi, poha and fats for cooking.
What's good in the dosa.
Urad Dal : 1 cup of cooked urad dal gives 69.30% of folic acid of your daily requirement of folate. The folic acid in urad dal helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones. See here for 10 super benefits of urad dal.
What's the problem in the dosa?
Rice and par boiled rice : Here are the pros for rice. Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates, which is an important source of energy for our body. Rice is low in fibre and therefore a good option for people suffering from diarrhoea. What's not good in rice. Foods like rice are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels. See details of is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?
Why sada dosa is healthier than rava dosa?
1. Sada dosa is fermented while rava dosa is not fermented. Dosa is a fermented food which is easy to digest. Fermentation of foods increases the bioavailability of nutrients which helps the body to assimilate more nutrition. The microorganisms break down the complex protein, carbohydrates and fat efficiently thereby helping to assimilate more nutrients from the food. The bioavailability of proteins and Vitamin B content also increases.
2. Sada dosa uses urad dal while rava dosa does not. The folic acid in urad dal helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones.
3. Sada dosa is a combination of rice and urad dal. Indian's eat a combination of rice and dal for generations and was always considered healthy. Rice is a good source of complex carbohydrates and pairing it with dal which is protein rich is very healthy. Combining urad dal and rice makes this a better protein for vegetarians.
4. Sada dosa is lower in calories compared to Rava Dosa. Sada dosa is 104 calories per dosa while rava dosa is 147 calories.
5. We feel that rice is a bit healthier than rava.
Given below are the recipes of rava dosa and sada dosa.