10 Amazing Radish, Mooli health benefits
Radish is also known as Mooli, Mula or Muli. It is a root vegetable with a crisp texture and a peppery hot flavour, which varies from mild to very strong depending on its age and type. The different types come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colours. The most commonly found are the small, round Cherry Belle, the Red Globe radish or the white carrot shaped variety known as Daikon.
There are two main categories of radishes, either the spring or winter radishes, based on the time when they are harvested. Spring radishes, which have a short growing season, resulting in a smaller radish. Spring radishes are generally eaten raw. The winter radishes have a longer growing season, which results in a larger round or more elongated shaped vegetable that stores longer. Winter radishes are generally cooked. Here we bring you amazing benefits of radish about which you had no clue.
1) Radishes can be added to vegetable juice to spice up the flavor a little. In this form, they can help clear your sinus cavities and soothe your sore throat."
2) Rich in Vitamin C : The vitamin C in radishes is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and has been shown to have a positive effect on asthma symptoms because of its anti-inflammatory properties”. It also helps in making collagen, which is needed for soft bones (cartilage) in our bodies. This can help arthritis patients.
3) Prevents Kidney Stones : Potassium from radish can help lower your risk of kidney stones.
4) Good for the Brain: Radishes along a diet high in other fruits and vegetables can significantly lower your risk of multiple sclerosis.
5) Helps in managing weight : Fibre does not digest easily and can help you feel fuller for a longer time and hence you avoid overeating or eating in between meals. They also help in lowering cholesterol by binding to LDL (bad cholesterol).
6) Relieves Gastric Discomforts : Radishes are a good source of fibre and high-fibre foods can help regulate bowel movements, eliminate constipation.
7) Relieves Cough : It acts as expectorant and as a stimulant. Radish juice or soup made out of radish can help to expel phlegm especially in toddlers and elderly who have difficulty to spit or cough out the thick mucus.
8) Good for Skin : Radish contains many nutrients that are good for skin, such as B-complex vitamins, vitamin C and zinc. It also contains a good amount of water thus provide good hydration. Radish also has anti-bacterial properties that help to heal dry and cracked skin and also prevents infection.
9) Safe for Diabetics : Radishes are low in carbohydrates and have a low glycemic index, they are suitable for diabetics.
10) Radish for Healthy Heart : Radish has many heart protective nutrients like Vitamin C, folic acid, calcium, potassium and flavonoids. They are an amazing source of fibre which helps in lowering cholesterol levels and thereby reduces the occurrence of heart problems.
Nutrition Information for 1 Cup Chopped Radish, Mooli
Nutritional Information for 1 Cup Chopped Radish
One Cup of Chopped Radish is 117 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
0.8 grams of Protein
3.97 grams of Carbs
0.11 grams of Fat
17.55 mg Vitamin C = 43.87% of RDA (about 40 mg)
See full nutritional details of Chopped radish in Chopped Radish glossary click here.