Benefits of Muskmelon, Kharbooja
Muskmelon is a round melon with firm, orange, moderately-sweet flesh and a thin reticulated light-brown rind. Available in abundance in summer, they are a powerhouse of many nutrients including water. Sweet and pleasing to taste, they are loved by most people.
Whether you chop them and eat a whole wedge, add them to salads or juice them, the outcome is super delicious. Click here to know ‘How to Buy Muskmelon’.
Other common names of muskmelon include sweet melon or rock melon. In Hindi, Marathi and Telugu its referred to as ‘Kharbooja’, while in Tamil it’s called ‘Mulam pazham and Bengalis term it as ‘Kharmuj’ while Gujaratis refer it as Shakartetti’.
7 Health Benefits of Muskmelon
1. Rejuvenates and Hydrates Skin : Muskmelon abounds in a key nutrient vitamin C, which strengthens our immune system by building our immune cells – white blood cells (WBC). These help to fight against the bacteria which usually grow within a clogged pore and shows up as acne. Vitamin C also helps in collagen synthesis – a protein which lends skin its elasticity. Moreover, being loaded with a good amount of fiber (1.2 g /cup), it helps to maintain digestive health and thus improve skin health.
For a glowing skin, try a healthy concoction like Muskmelon and Mint Juice. While juicing, remember to avoid the addition of sugar as that weakens your immune system and you already are aware that sugar is empty calories. They don’t do any good to your body.
2. Nutri-dense Addition to an Obesity Diet : Those who are a weight loss diet are always in search of flavourful ingredients which do not tempt them to reach out for unhealthy junk fare. If you too are looking, reach out for muskmelon. Its sweet taste is the best to turn your head to satisfy your sweet tooth.
With just 26 calories, negligible amounts of fat and 1.2 g of fiber, muskmelon is unarguably a valuable fruit. Further, it also provides you a host of other key nutrients. So don’t wait! Go ahead and include it in the form of Muskmelon Pear and Apple Salad – a complete health package which is sure to satiate you too. Want to try something different? Try making muskmelon dressing and pairing it with other weight loss fruits. We have a tested recipe for this – Green Salad with Muskmelon Dressing.
3. Controls and Prevents Cancer : The immune building vitamin C plays a role to prevent and fight cancer too. It eliminates the free radicals produced in the body and prevents the onset of cancer. For those with cancer, should also try and include muskmelon in any form to fight the existing cancer cells. It is very soft and easy to chew also. So cancer patients who often have mouth sores and difficulty in chewing can surely look upon this healthy fruit.
You should aim at including 1 to 2 vitamin C rich fruits daily to make up for days requirement of 40 mg. To your surprise, 1 cup of chopped muskmelon is enough to make up for this need. It given 39 mg of vitamin C. So don’t wait…. You can also go ahead and whip up an antioxidant drink – Muskmelon and Pineapple Juice.
4. Supports Heart Health : This low-fat and high antioxidant fruit holds the capacity of reducing inflammation in the body and thus protecting your arteries and in turn heart. Muskmelon further furnishes your body with a good dose of magnesium too – a nutrient which is necessary to maintain heartbeat.
It’s packed with some amount of potassium too, which work towards maintaining blood pressure within a normal range. Combine this melon with other heart-friendly ingredients and make you own healthy bowl of salad like Muskmelon, Grapefruit and Prune Salad. This salad is filled with fiber from sunflower seeds and grapefruit which helps to remove the excess cholesterol from the body too.
5. Boosts Digestive Health : Water-filled and fiber-rich muskmelons are one of the best friends of the gut. They help hydrate the body, detoxify it and aid in easy movement of bowels too. In fact, muskmelon is quite often suggested for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) as well.
Concentrate on retaining the fiber of this fruit, as that’s the stomach-friendly nutrient. So try and avoid hoppers to juice muskmelon. Instead try including this fruit in the form of Chunky Muskmelon Drink. This has been whipped up in a minute in a juicer.
6. Helps Combat Acidity Attacks : Your diet triggers or controls acidity. The pH of muskmelon is in between 6.5 to 7. So they are considered to be almost neutral and thus help in balancing the acids of the stomach. Thus muskmelon are a very healthy addition to our meals in today’s lifestyle where junk foods are seen more frequently on the table.
If you are in a hurry and have no time for a snack, try and eat a bowl of chopped muskmelon. Its sure to prevent acidity attack. Alternatively try a salad in the form of Apple Chickoo Salad with Muskmelon Dressing. Read more on Best Foods for Acidity.
7. May Benefit Diabetics : Muskmelon has a glycemic index of 65 (medium glycemic index), but its glycemic load is 3.14 which is low. Thus moderate amount of muskmelon can be enjoyed by diabetics. Also the high fiber content will assist in keeping blood sugar levels under check.
The best idea is to avoid juicing muskmelon and that would become a concentrated source of carbs, which aren’t healthy for you. Toss a salad instead… Pair it with other diabetic-friendly fruits like guava, apple, sweet lime etc. to make a Fruit Salad. Check out the list of other diabetes friendly ingredients.
Do dwell into this aromatic seasonal fruit when summer is at its peak and gain all of its key nutrients…..
Nutritive Information for Muskmelon :
1 cup of chopped muskmelon is about 150 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy – 26 calories
Protein – 0.5 g
Carbohydrate – 5.3 g
Fat – 0.3 g
Fiber – 1.2 g
253.5 mcg of Vitamin A = 5.3% of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
39 mg of Vitamin C = 97.5% of RDA (about 40 mg)
28.5 mcg of Folate (vitamin B9) = 14.3% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
See full nutritional details of muskmelon in Muskmelon glossary click here.