10 Health Benefits of Beetroot, Healthy Indian Beetroot Recipes
Popularly called as ‘Chukandar’ beet is the root of the beet plant. What’s the best part of the beet we all love? Believe it’s the sweet taste, deep red colour and the crunchiness. What else do you need in a vegetable? Nutrients right…. The lovely beets have that too…. Vitamin C, phosphorus, iron, magnesium and above all negligible fat and loads of fiber. All these health credentials make beetroot one of the ‘superfood’.
10 Health Benefits of Beetroot
You can BEAT numerous diseases with BEET and stay fit. Listed below are a few of them…..
1. Beat Inflammation with Antioxidant Rich Beet: Beetroot has an important colour pigment called betalain, which not only gives beet its deep red colour but also has powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and fungicidal properties. This in simple terms means that beetroot is a good way to build your body’s defense against various diseases. Beetroot Carrot Peppers Salad for Work is a complete antioxidant treat.
Beetroot, Peppers, Carrot Healthy Salad for Work
2. Beat LDL Cholesterol with Nitrate Rich Beet: The Nitrates present in beet aid in detoxification and helps lower bad cholesterol (LDL) levels. This avoid any blockage in the arteries. Try Beetroot Hummus and serve them with carrot and cucumber sticks, instead of fat laden readymade chips.
3. Beat Constipation with Fiber Rich Beet: The high fiber content of the beetroot acts as a bulk residue and improves body’s ability to digest food. It helps improve bowel movement and prevents constipation. A cup of chopped beet when added by way of salads or subzis is sure to fulfil your 1/5th requirement of day’s fiber need. You can even try just boiling beet, chopping it and consuming it with a mild sprinkle of salt as a high fiber snack in between your meals. Try a high fiber beetroot based snack like Flax Seeds Cracker with Beetroot Dip.
4. Beat Fatigue and Stay Energetic with Nitrate Rich Beet: Drinking Beetroot Juice is said to increase the blood nitrate levels and decrease muscle usage of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which is the main source of energy to the body. Thus the athlete will have more energy left to train harder for long hours. You can also try combining a few veggies to make a healthy potion like Spinach Orange and Beetroot Juice.
Iron Relish, Spinach Orange and Beetroot Juice
5. Beat Bone Breakdown with Magnesium Rich Beet: Beets are rich in Magnesium (30.77% of RDA from a cup of chopped beet) which helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium and formation of bones and teeth, thus avoiding fractures. Try Carrot and Beetroot Raita.
Carrot Beetroot Raita for Weight Loss
6. Beat High BP with Nitrate Rich Beet: The high Nitrate content of Beetroots which get converted to Nitric Oxide result in the expansion the blood vessels and thereby lowering the blood pressure and ensuring proper oxygen flow to all parts of the body. If you often notice signs of high blood pressure, start your day with a glass of Mixed Vegetable Juice.
Mixed Vegetable Juice for Weight Loss, Beetroot Carrot Tomato Juice
7. Beat Diabetes with Low Glycemic Load Beet: While Beets have a medium GI of 61, the Glycemic Load is only 5. Hence Beets will not raise blood sugar by a lot because the total carbs in it are low. Additionally, the high fiber content of beet will also assist in keeping a check on high blood sugar levels. Try combining beetroot with other veggies in the form of Beetroot Cucumber and Tomato Raita.
Beetroot Cucumber and Tomato Raita
8. Beat Anemia with Iron Rich Beet: If iron is lacking in the diet, iron reserves of the body are used. Once this supply is depleted the formation of hemoglobin is affected. This means the red blood cells cannot carry oxygen needed by the cells. When this happens, iron deficiency occurs and anaemia results. Beets are a fairly good source of Iron provided you consume a minimum of 1 cup of chopped or grated beet. They help you match your 10% of RDA. Make beet a part of your list of iron rich foods in the form of Beetroot and Sesame Roti.
Beetroot and Sesame Roti
9. Beat Cold, Flu and Cough with Vitamin C Rich Beet: The most important function of Vitamin C is its immune fighting effect. It forms an important defense against flu, cold and cough. The best way to get the most of vitamin C is to peel it and have it raw immediately or juice it in the form of Carrot Beetroot Parsley and Celery Juice. Chopping and storing it for long and cooking tends to reduce the vitamin C content.
Carrot Beetroot Parsley and Celery Juice
10. Beat Flab with Low Calorie Beet: With just 77 calories, 3 g of protein, 0.1 g of fat and 6.3 g of fiber from 1 cup of chopped beet, they are a definitely a meaningful addition to a weight loss diet.Virtually no fat, moderate amount of protein and high fiber together are important in achieving a healthy weight loss. Certainly it will add bulk and keep you satiated for long hours when had in the form of Beetroot and Dill Salad.
Beetroot and Dill Salad
Nutritive Information for Chopped Beetroot:
1 cup of chopped beetroot is about 180 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy – 77 calories
Protein – 3 g
Carbohydrate – 15.8 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 6.3 g
See full nutritional information of beetroot in beetroot glossary