Benefits of Barley (Jao), Indian healthy barley recipes
While barley known as Jao in India has recently started gaining importance in Indian cuisine. A part of Cereal food group, this grain has gained highest importance in the form of barley water. However it forms a part of many soups, salad and curries too. To suit the palate of Indians, we have used it more creatively to make delicacies like Barley Idli, Barley and Moong Dal Khichdi and Mysore Barley Dosa. Once you have had a sneak preview at its Nutrition facts and comprehended its array of beneficial nutrients, do try out these recipes. They are truly wholesome!
9 Health Benefits of Barley
1. Heart Healthy : A high fiber diet for years has been paired with reduced risk of heart disease. The fiber (2.73 g) from barley helps reduce blood cholesterol levels. Additionally folate, potassium and magnesium also work together to support a healthy heart.
2. Welcome Weight Management : With that high a fiber count coupled with almost no fat and high protein, barley qualifies as a weight managing grain. It satiates you for long hours. Barley, per se, is quite bland an ingredient. Pair it with fresh veggies and an appetizing dressing to make a healthy salad lunch bowl as we have done in Barley Feta and Spinach Salad.
3. Dodge Diabetes : The beta glucan – a type of fiber present in barley assists blood sugar management and prevents that instant spike in blood sugar levels. Try the Barley Vegetable Soup and Barley Khichdi – our tried and tested recipes created especially for diabetics.
4. Benefit Bones : Calcium (18.2 mg), phosphorus (150.5 mg) and protein (8.05 g) all work together to promote bone strength. They form the pillar of our body.
5. Gift for Gut : The best gift for gut is fiber, which barley has in plenty. Barley works like probiotic to benefit the friendly bacteria in the digestive tract and aids in smooth bowel movements. This grain promotes regularity of digestive tract and helps prevent constipation.
6. Curb Cancer : Lignans are the phytonutrients barley abounds in. These work to reduce inflammation and stress and fight the cancer cells. One of these new lignans is termed enterolactone, which is known to help prevent breast and other hormonal cancers.
7. Support Skin Radiance : The anti-inflammatory properties of barley, fights skin infection and acne while promoting skin glow and sheen. Moreover it is also a good source of selenium – a nutrient which fosters skin elasticity and prevent wrinkles.
8. Handles High Blood Pressure : The B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin and niacin) along with magnesium and potassium have been identified in supporting nerve health and lowering high blood pressure. Try out our wide range of recipes created using barley. However observe restriction in adding salt, as it’s high in sodium. Adding too much salt may increase the sodium levels and may negate the effects of the former nutrients in controlling blood pressure.
9. Promote Pregnancy Health : This is a no-brainer. Now that you are aware of all the nutrients that barley holds, it is sure to foster a healthy pregnancy. It offers all important nutrients like protein, fiber, magnesium, calcium, B vitamins etc. to support fetal growth. Sipping on barley water is also a delightful way to overcome pregnancy induced nausea.
Nutritive Information for Barley:
½ Cup of raw barley is about 70 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 235 calories
Protein – 8.05 g
Carbohydrate – 48.7 g
Fat – 0.91 g
Fiber – 2.73 g
See full nutritional details of Barley in Barley glossary
Barley – A grain merely
Abounds in nutrients fairly
Add it to your pantry surely
Cook with it smartly !