This page been viewed 4581 times
25 Health Benefits of Lemon
Last Updated : Apr 21,2017
25 Health Benefits of Lemon
The lemon is one of those super foods with a myriad health and cosmetic
There are a few persons for whom it is an allergen, so make sure you are not
allergic to this natural product, before you start enjoying the many
1. Lemon being a citrus fruit fights against infection. It helps in the
production of White Blood Cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks
invading microorganisms and prevents infection.
2. Lemon is an antioxidant which deactivates the free radicals preventing
many dangerous diseases like stroke, cardiovascular diseases and cancers.
3. Lemon lowers blood pressure and increases the levels of HDL (good
4. Lemon is found to be anti-carcinogenic which lower the rates of colon,
prostate, and breast cancer. It prevents faulty metabolism in the cell,
which can predispose a cell to becoming carcinogenic. Also blocks the
formation of nitrosamines in the gut.
5. Lemon juice is said to give a glow to the skin.
6. A few drops of lemon juice in hot water are believed to clear the
digestive system and purify the liver as well.
7. The skin of lemons dried under the sun and then ground to make powder can
be applied to the hair for a few minutes before a bath which relieves head
ache and cools the body.
8. Applying lemon juice to acne dries the existing ones and prevents from
9. Lemon juice acts as a natural hair lightener and skin bleach which
reduces the pigment melanin and prevents the risk of chemical allergic
reactions which is common with hair dyes and bleaches.
10. Lemon juice is given to relieve gingivitis, stomatitis, and inflammation
of the tongue.
11. Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold.
12. Lemon juice is given to prevent or treat urinary tract infection and
13. Lemon juice is applied to the sites of bites and stings of certain
insects to relieve its poison and pain.
14. Lemon juice relieves colic pain and gastric problems.
15. Lemon juice soothes the dry skin when applied with a little glycerin.
16. Lemon juice used for marinating seafood or meat kills bacteria and other
organisms present in them, thereby preventing many gastro-intestinal tract
17. Lemon juice with a pinch of salt (warm) every morning lowers cholesterol
levels and brings down your weight.
18. Lemon juice is the best drink to prevent dehydration and shock in case
19. Lemon juice can also be used as a mouthwash. It removes plaque, whitens
the teeth and strengthens the enamel.
20. A table spoon on thick lemon syrup everyday relieves asthma.
21. Lemon juice relieves chilblains and itchy skin.
22. Gargling lemon juice relieves throat infection and is also used as a
treatment for diphtheria.
23. Lemon juice is an excellent treatment for dandruff and greasy hair.
24. Lemon applied over the face removes wrinkles and keeps you young.
25. Lemon juice helps to prevent and cure osteoarthritis.
Enjoy our collection of healthy lemon recipes given below.
25 Health Benefits Of Lemon, Top 7 Lemon Recipes
Comforting and refreshing at the same time, this Tulsi Tea, with its unmistakable herbal accents is a wonderful cure for sore throat.
While the anti-viral and soothing properties of tulsi are well-known, what makes this remedy all the more effective is the addition of lemon juice, which helps cut through the mucus, increases salivation to lubricate the throat, and improves your immunity with its anti-oxidant powers.
Of course, the blend of herbal and lemony flavours is also a hit with the palate!
A perfect cuppa to have in the mornings, the Minty Honey Lemon Drink has a zesty flavour that shakes you awake. Having this refreshing drink nice and warm is not only very soothing, but also helps to break down fat and lose weight. Honey energises and lends you the strength you need in the morning, while lemon, mint and cumin lend a wonderful flavour and also improve your immunity and digestion. The salt is optional, but a pinch will help highlight the flavours well.
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, says the proverb and it's almost true. A dash of lime cuts through the sweetness perfectly and zips up the flavour of this Lemony Apple Juice.
Apples are a storehouse of fibre which helps to keep your digestive tract healthy. Apples contain an enzyme called 'polyphenolase', which when comes in contact with oxygen produces coloured phenolic compounds that impart undesirable brown colour to the pieces. To prevent this, cut the apples just before juicing or simply squeeze lemon juice over the pieces.
When you get together with friends for a chit-chat time, serve the Lemony Apple Juice with a cheese cubes
platter, Marinated Black Olives
, Nacho Chips
and Tomato Salsa
, these are perfect for nibbling on without interrupting your chatter.
You know how bad diarrhea can be. You are exhausted and know you have to top up on fluids, but your taste buds feel dead and you don’t really feel up to drinking anything.
Here is a refreshing drink that can get you out of this terrible situation! Lemon Phudina Paani, with the tanginess of lemon and peppy flavours of jeera and mint also pools in the medicinal benefits of these ingredients, helping to kill the bacteria responsible for diarrhea.
Have it thrice a day to curtail Diarrhoea
and hydrate your body too.
Creamy low-fat curds pair remarkably well with the assertive flavours of basil, pepper, salt and lemon rind. This colourful dressing comes alive, thanks to grated apple and basil. To avoid the usual cholesterol from high-fat cream used in salad dressings, this recipe makes use of low-fat curds instead of cream.
A cup of Lemon Tea is just what you need to shoo away the gloom! With a refreshingly tangy taste tinged by the exotic sweetness of honey, this tea is sure to rejuvenate your senses and make you feel fresh as a daisy.
Enjoy it in the company of friends, and watch the effect double. You can also try other recipes like the Tulsi Tea
and Fresh Herbal Tea
Lemon Honey Water is a soothing herbal concoction that has amazing effects when had in the morning. Millions of people across the world start the day with it, and enjoy its health benefits. It is also excellent to soothe the throat.
While making Lemon Honey Water, you must note that the water must only be warm and not hot. Also, this should not be strongly flavoured like lemon juice or lemon tea. It is just 2 tsp of lemon juice for 2 cups of water.
You can also have a go at other herbal drinks like the Herbal Caffeine- Free Tea
or the Phudina Green Tea
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.