Zunka ( Know Your Flours )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5285 times
Zunka, especially when combined with jowar bhakri, green chillies and onions, is considered the quintessential marathi meal!
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and onions and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté for half a minute.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, besan and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame till the besan turns light brown in colour, stiring once in between.
- Add 2½ cups of water, mix well and cook on the slow flame for 8 to 10 or till the besan leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Serve hot.
- To prepare healthy zunka include greens like cabbage, fenugreek etc.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.