Yam Errisery, Chena Erissery, Onam Sabzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9826 times
Erissery made with yam and plantains is a part of the festive fare served on Onam , the biggest festival celebrated in Kerala. Alternatively, this recipe can be prepared with pumpkin and red oriental beans too.
You can also try other South Indian vegetable dishes like Malabari Curry or Avial .
- Combine the yam, drumsticks, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a deep pan, cover and cook on a medium flame till done or all the water gets evaporated while stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared paste and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and cover and cook on a slow flame for a minute. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the tempering over the yam and drumstick mixture, mix well and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes or till it becomes dry. Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||214.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||16 mg|
|Folic Acid||6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.