Whole Wheat Methi Khakra
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 484 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 138065 times
It is easy to ask somebody to give up unhealthy snacks, but it is quite difficult to achieve the goal! Instead, try treating yourself and your family to healthy short-eats like this Whole Wheat Methi Khakhra, which is so tasty that you will naturally lose your craving for junky snacks! Khakhra, the all-time favourite Gujarati snack is enhanced with a sprinkling of powered spices and sesame seeds, which makes it an irresistible treat for your palate! Made of whole wheat, these khakhras are a rich source of complex carbohydrates, protein and fibre. The sesame adds to the calcium quotient of this yummy snack, while methi gives iron to build your haemoglobin stores. Keep a batch of these Whole Wheat Methi Khakhras in an airtight container, ready to munch when you are hungry, be it at home, in office or even when you travel.
- Combine all the ingredientsin a deep bowl and knead into a semi-seft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7") diameter thin circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a concave non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the khakhra on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the khakhra on a slow flame, while pressing with a khakhra press or a folded muslin cloth, till it turns crisp and golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cool and serve or store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per khakhra
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.