Whole Wheat Flour Chakli Recipe, Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13501 times
It is amazing and totally mind-boggling how changing just one ingredient in a recipe can give you something awesomely different!
Well, here we replaced rice flour with whole wheat flour, tweaked the proportions of the other ingredients slightly to suit, and tried making chakli with the dough.
Whole Wheat Flour Chakli has a very different flavour and mouth-feel, equally tasty but slightly softer than the normal rice flour chakli.
You need to be a little careful when deep-frying these chaklis though. Do not keep turning them often as they are soft and will break. Just move them around occasionally. You will love the homely taste and melt-in-the-mouth texture of this Whole Wheat Flour Chakli.
Try your hand at other jar snacks like the Methi Puri or Seedai .
- Place the whole wheat flour in a muslin cloth.
- Tie it tightly.
- Place it in hot steamer and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove the flour from the muslin cloth and cool slightly, the whole wheat flour must have become hard.
- Break into small pieces and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Take a portion of the dough and press it into a chakli “press” and cover it with the lid.
- Press out 50 mm. (2”) diameter round swirls of chakli onto an inverted flat board or thali, working closely from the centre to the outside to get approx. 25 chaklis.
- Press the chaklis very gently with the back of a flat ladle.
- Repeat steps 8 to 10 to make 1 more batch of 25 chaklis.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, deep fry the chaklis on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour and crisp from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values per chakli
|Vitamin A||20.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.