Whole Bajra Idli
by Palak Rajput
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14336 times
Whole bajra idly is prepared from whole bajra grains. Whole bajra is roasted till golden brown and soaked along with idly rice. Both are ground into smooth paste next morning along with soaked urad dal. Various chopped and grated vegetables are mixed into the batter and whole bajra idly done by steaming the batter.
- Heat a heavy pan on medium heat, add whole bajra and fry them till aromatic and golden brown.
- Before removing from heat, add the idly rice in the hot pan.
- Cool and soak the roasted whole bajra along with idly rice in enough water for 6 – 8 hours.
- Wash thoroughly and soak urad dal in enough water for an hour or two.
- Grind the soaked whole bajra and idly rice and curd into smooth paste along with soaked urad dal.
- Add just enough water to make the ground mixture soft and thick.
- Peel, remove ends and grate the carrot.
- Wash and finely chop coriander.
- In a mixing bowl, add ground whole bajra batter, sooji, grated carrot, cumin seeds, coriander and salt.
- Add few tbsps of water if required to make the batter thin enough to pour into molds.
- Grease idly mold with a dollop of ghee and fill in the idly batter.
- Steam the idly for 10-15 minutes or until they cook and become soft.
- Serve whole bajra idly with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
This recipe was contributed by Palak Rajput on 14 Dec 2010
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.