Vegetable Biryani (1 Tsp Oil )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1069 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 91920 times
Biryani is known to be a rich and luxurious preparation of rice and vegetables. While it traditionally contains oodles of ghee and oil, you will realise upon trying this intelligent version that the same richness can be brought out through the intensity of the spices and quantity of vegetables, without increasing the fat content. With aromatic spices and an assortment of veggies, this low-cal Vegetable Biryani is sure to pamper your taste buds as well as satiate you. It has ample amounts of vitamin A, iron and calcium, and is filling enough to be a one-dish meal as it is prepared with brown rice. Authentic recipes involve preparing the gravy and rice separately, followed by layering and baking them. However, to reduce the oil content, we have used more gravy than brown rice and cooked them all together.
- Boil 1 ½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and salt.
- Add the rice, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, biryani masala and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the boiled vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Combine he vegetable gravy and the rice in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.