Vegetable Barley Soup ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30378 times
Vegetable barley soup, though not used in everyday cooking, barley is a great source of protein, iron and fibre and tastes good too, if cooked with flavourful ingredients as i have done in this broth. Pressure cooking retains these valuable nutrients. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice towards the end to perk up this soup.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the garlic and the spring onion whites and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the barley, masoor and carrots, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add 4½ cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook on a high flame for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using quick release method, (refer handy tip) before opening the lid.
- Add the spring onion greens, tomatoes, coriander and pepper, mix well and simmer for a minute, stirring once in between.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
- Quick release method: also called the cold-water release method, it is used to release pressure quickly. To use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the burner, place in the sink and run cold water gently over the lid until the steam dissipates.
- When putting the pressure cooker in the sink, tilt the handle up so the water flows away from you. Quick release works best for foods where you need to control the timing and degree of cooking.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.