Veg Broccoli Soup Recipe ( Diabetic Friendly)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 43 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 65903 times
Veg Broccoli Soup is unique and enjoyable in more ways than one. For starters, it makes innovative use of the stalks that are usually discarded!
Plus, it is a really creamy soup that is made without cream! Yes, to make this low-cal I have used a combination of milk and whole wheat flour to create the creamy feel.
This broccoli soup recipe is so simple to make and is really healthy without compromising on the taste so that everyone can enjoy.
Take care not to strain the water after cooking, to retain the full goodness. Broccoli is, needless to say, very healthy, being rich in vitamins C and A. Drown in the flavours of this easy-to-make comforting, nutritious soup!
The step by step photos of the recipe are provided below.
You can also try other soups like Moong Soup or Lettuce and Cauliflower Soup .
- Since broccoli comes in a tree like shape, you have to remove the larger stalk and keep only the florets and the small stalks that are attached to it.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Sautéing the onions is important to remove their rawness and to ensure their taste is incorporated in the broccoli soup.
- Add the broccoli florets and stalks, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. It is very important that the broccoli does not brown as it will not give a vibrant green color to the broccoli soup.
- Add the whole wheat flour, mix well and cook on a medium flame 1 minute, while stirring continuously making sure that the flour does not burn. The whole wheat flour is added to provide thickness to the broccoli soup in place of cornflour or plain flour, which should not be had by diabetics.
- Add 2 cups of water to the broccoli.
- Cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, or till the broccoli florets and stalks are cooked. Keep aside to cool.
- Transfer the broccoli florets and stalks, along with the water, to a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture into the same deep non-stick pan, add the milk, salt and freshly ground black pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes. The addition of milk makes the broccoli soup super creamy and rich.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.