Varkey Paratha ( Roti and Subzis)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Varkey Paratha ( Roti and Subzis) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Varkey Paratha ( Roti and Subzis) in Gujarati)
Added to 143 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24075 times
Varkey parathas are unique in their own way—you might never have heard of or tried these before, but here is your chance to master the technique! wheat rotis are greased with a rice flour paste, layered, rolled up and cooked crisp with ghee. Perfect for a cold day, it is sure to remind you of the famous ooty varkey!
- Combine the rice flour and the ghee in a bowl and mix well to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour, whole wheat flour, milk and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a smooth, soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and roll each portion into a roti of 250 mm. (10") diameter using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Place one roti on a flat surface and spread some rice flour paste on it.
- Place another roti on top and repeat the process till all the 10 rotis have been placed one on top of the other interlaced with the rice flour paste including the top most roti.
- Roll it tightly from end to the other end and cut it into 10 equal portions.
- Flatten one portion between your palms and again roll into a 150 mm. (6”)diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using a little ghee, till it turns golden brown in colour from both sides.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 9 more parathas.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.