Vaal ki Usal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 356 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59969 times
A popular, easy to make Maharashtrian dish. The combination of jaggery and kokum gives a sweet and tangy taste to the usal. Vaal provides you the much needed protein and iron. A thoughtful addition of vitamin C rich coriander improves the absorption of iron. Serve this usal with hot with rotis of your choice.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sprouted vaal, 1½ cups of water, turmeric powder, chilli powder, kokum, jaggery and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.