Usal ( Healthy Subzi)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 156 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50430 times
A traditional Maharashtrian preparation made healthier using an assortment of sprouted pulses. Sprouting not only increases the protein content but also makes the dish easier to digest and richer in calcium. While some methods of preparation use kokum, we have used tomatoes for tang so that it can be made easily by everybody, even in regions where kokum is not available.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the dry garlic chutney, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring once in between.
- Add the mixed sprouts, turmeric powder, salt and 1½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with onions and coriander and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.