Urad Dal with Yogurt
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22825 times
You can add creme or full milk instead of curd
Add your private note
Urad Dal with Yogurt recipe - How to make Urad Dal with Yogurt
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1/2 t garlic chutney (see below)
1 c. urad dal
5 c. water
1 c. plain yogurt
1/4 t. turmeric powder
1 t. salt
2 t. fresh lemon juice
optional fresh coriander leaves
***t refers to tteaspoon
c means cup
- For the garlic chutney, make a paste of 1 clove garlic, very finely
- Chopped, 1/2 t. cayenne, 1/8 t. coriander powder and 1/8 t. cumin
- Mix 1 c. water with the plain yogurt and beat with a fork until
- Smooth. to this add the turmeric powder and the 1/2 t. of garlic
- Chutney. beat again to make an evenly smooth liquid and et the
- Bowl aside for a moment.
- In a medium-size pot, bring 4 c. water and the salt to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, clean the urad dal
- Under running water and drain. when the water boils, add the
- Drained urad dal. bring the water and dal to another boil and cook
- Uncovered for 10 min. stir once, cover the pot and lower the heat
- To between low and medium. cook the dal for 20 min. until its
- Grains are easily mashed when pressed between two fingers. remove
- The covered pot from the heat and let stand for 10 min. add the
- Yogurt mixture, stir once and return the pot to low heat. simmer
- For 10 more min., stirring frequently. by this time the yogurt
- Will have combined with the dal to form a thick sauce-like mixture.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the fresh lemon juice. if you like,
- Top this with some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
This recipe was contributed by setseeani on 22 May 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.