Urad Dal and Onion Pakodas
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28703 times
Urad batter is generally associated with the South Indian vada, but here we have made pakodas with urad dal and it tastes absolutely awesome.
Onions impart a delectable crunch to the pakodas while a gamut of common but interesting additions like ginger, green chillies, coriander and spices give the fritters a mouth-watering flavour.
We have added a little bit of rice flour to the batter to give the Urad Dal and Onion Pakodas shape and crispness, so don’t omit it. Enjoy the snack hot and crisp with green chutney and ketchup.
Try other pakodas recipes like Moong Dal Pakoda or Peanut Pakoda.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, drop spoonful of the mixture using your fingers and deep-fry a few pakodas at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Serve the urad dal and onion pakodasimmediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Urad Dal and Onion Pakodas Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.