Turiya Paatra ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 138 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102701 times
Turiya paatra features an unusual combination of ridge gourd and paatra. But, however uncommon the combination might sound to you, it is very common in gujarati tradition, and is a must-serve item for weddings held in gujarat. In the customary way, people add the paatras directly without steaming, but that takes much longer to cook. So, i always suggest steaming and adding the paatras as in this quick and easy version.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ridge gourd, asafoetida, soda bi–carb and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut-coriander paste, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the ridge gourd becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the paatra and sugar, toss gently and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Serve hot garnished with coconut and coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.