Toovar Methi Na Dhokla ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 139 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42211 times
Toovar methi na dhokla looks so smart that it literally lures the diners to try it! and, once they try it, they just cannot stop with one because it is so tasty. The liberal use of chillies makes it appealing to spice lovers, while the goodness of toovar dal and methi makes it acceptable to the health-conscious as well. However, don’t underestimate this recipe—does need a bit of practice to perfect it!
- Wash and soak the toovar dal in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the toovar dal, fenugreek leaves, green chillies, curds and ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl, add 2 tbsp of oil, asafoetida, besan, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portions.
- Add 1 tsp of fruit salt to a portion of the batter and mix gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
- Steam in a steamer for 7 to 8 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Repeat the steps 5 to 6 to make one more thali of dhoklas.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove from the flame and add 1 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Pour this tempering equally over both the thalis of the dhoklas.
- Cool slightly and cut into diamond-shaped pieces.
- Garnish with coriander and coconut and serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||496.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||95.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.