Tomato Sauce ( Pizzas and Pastas Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 372 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 57313 times
If you love italian cuisine, you need to have this sauce in your larder! here is the quintessential tomato sauce recipe from the kitchens of italy. Try not to miss any of the ingredients including the tomato puree and pulp, the assorted spices and herbs, as each works their magic to produce a zesty sauce that you can use as is, or in other recipes like pizzas and pastas.
- Blanch the tomatoes by putting them in a vesselful of boiling water.
- Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
- Heat the oilve oil in a broad pan, add the bay leaves and peppercorns and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, garlic and capsicum and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce reduces a little.
- Add the tomato puree, ketchup, sugar and salt and simmer for some more time.
- Finally, add the oregano and mix well. Remove the capsicum, bay leaves and peppercorns and discard.
- Use as required.
- Use 5 large tomatoes and 3 tsps sugar for the above recipe instead of using tomato ketchup and tomato puree.
- Tip : You can make in advance large quantities of this sauce by multiplying the above recipe and refrigerate until required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.