Tomato Rasam ( Eat Well Stay Well )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11874 times
Tomato rasam, a perfect, low-calorie recipe to enjoy the true flavours of home-made south indian cooking. Serve this protein- and vitamin-packed rasam as an accompaniment to plain steamed rice. Tomatoes are bountiful of vitamin a, folic acid that helps boost immunity. This recipe is low in calories, hence feel free to relish thisone anytime.
- Heat a small kadhai, add all the ingredients and dry roast on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the flavour releases, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal with 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk it thoroughly and bring to boil.
- Add the tomato pulp, tamarind water, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the rasam masala, and 3 cups of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté for a second.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling rasam and mix well. Serve hot garnished with the coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.