Tomato Poha, Indian Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11741 times
Poha can be thought of as our desi breakfast cereal! All over India, it is a very popular breakfast choice. Cooked it different ways, poha is satiating and tasty.
Here, we show you how to make a tangy Tomato Poha. With a traditional tempering and everyday taste-makers like green chillies, lemon juice and coriander, the Tomato Poha has a homely yet snazzy taste.
It is a totally no-fuss recipe and you can make it on any busy day. A little bit of milk is added at the end of preparation, to keep the poha moist and soft.
You can also try other breakfast options like Upma and Sprouted Moong and Methi Chila .
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the beaten rice in a sieve and hold it under running water for a few seconds. Toss well to drain out all the excess water.
- Add the washed and drained beaten rice, coriander, lemon juice, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the milk and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.