Tomato Pickle By harithab
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2315 times
Keep a jar of Tomato pickle in your kitchen cabinet to make every meal of yours a delectable one. The tomato pickle is a great accompaniment which can be enjoyed with Parathas, dosa or rice.
- Wash the tomatoes and wipe off with a clean cloth / towel.
- Chop it into small pieces.
- Squeeze out juice from tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and fry the chopped tomatoes.
- Add tamarind (don''t wash tamarind) to the tomato juice and heat it until tamarind is soft.
- Make a fine thick paste out of the tamarind, salt and jaggery.
- Fry the fenugreek seeds in a dry kadai and powder it.
- Add this to the paste along with the chilly powder.
- Add the paste to the fried tomatoes and stir well over a low flame for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let the paste thicken to about 1/2 of its original volume.
- Stir frequently to mix well.
- Heat up the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds and asafetida and add it to the paste.
- If you want it hot and spicy, you can add more chilli powder.
- Cool it and store it in a air tight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe was contributed by harithab on 28 Mar 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.