Tomato Methi Rice ( Iron Rich Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 281 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 106065 times
Iron-laden methi greens are combined with vitamin c rich tomatoes which helps in the absorption of iron. For an additional fibre touch, i have used the unpolished brown rice which is beneficial for weight watchers, diabetics and people with high cholesterol.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the green chillies, onion paste and sauté on a medium flame for another minute, till the onion paste turns brown in colour.
- Add the garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the tomatoes are cooked while stirring continuously.
- Sprinkle a little water to avoid the onions from burning. Add the coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 more minutes or till the fenugreek leaves are cooked.
- Add the rice and salt, mix gently and cook on a slow flame for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot with curds or raita of your choice.
- To make 3 cups of cooked brown rice, boil enough water in a deep pan, add the salt, 1 tsp of oil and 1 cup of soaked and drained brown rice and cook till the rice is 85% cooked. Drain completely and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.