The Winsome Twosome- Onion Twins ( Vegetable Carvings)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9665 times
The young swan twins are here to add a dash of masti to a balmy afternoon tea party. Treat the kids with an imaginative story about these frolicsome swans and watch them flutter with joy.
Add your private note
The Winsome Twosome- Onion Twins ( Vegetable Carvings) recipe - How to make The Winsome Twosome- Onion Twins ( Vegetable Carvings)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 2 swans
- Peel a onion, place it on a chopping board and cut it vertically with the carving knife.
- Place one half of the onion on a chopping board. Starting 1 cm. From the onion bulb, make slits at regular intervals right till the end, using a knife.
- Gently segregate each layer of the onion with your fingers and keep aside.
- Cut a small rectangular piece of the white radish approximately 2" in length and 3/4" in width. Place the smallest layer of the onion on one end of the radish and secure it with a pin.
- With the help of a pin, attach more layers working towards the onion bulb. This becomes the body of the swan.
- Place a spring onion on a chopping board and using a knife, separate the white from the green leaving around 1 to 1½" of the green intact. Hold the spring onion and using a knife make gentle slits along its green portion.
- Dip the spring onion (head) into a bowl of ice cold water for 10 minutes. This will make the spring onion greens crisp and they will curl out well.
- Cut a small triangle beak from the carrot and attach it to the tip of the spring onion bulb with the help of a pin.
- Insert 2 cloves into the bulb to form the eyes of the swan.
- Attach the spring onion to the radish-onion base (body) with the help of a toothpick.
- To decorate it, make 2 to 3 such swans, place them on a blue paper at different angles and make water kind of effect using marker pen.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.