Thandai Ice Cream, Healthy Diabetic Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19350 times
High in calcium and low in calories, this is a very good ice cream to have for dessert – not to forget the totally unique flavour!
I have made small scoops to restrict its intake… as it is difficult to restrict the consumption of such a superb dish otherwise!
A real low-cal treat for diabetics, this tastes best when made using fresh thandai paste. Store the extra paste for making milkshake or ice cream later. Corn flour gives body to the ice cream, thickening it and making it creamier.
You can also try other ice-creams like Black Jamun Ice - Cream or Sugarfree Strawberry Ice-cream .
- Combine the fennel seeds, peppercorns and poppy seeds together and soak in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add the saffron mixture, almonds and cardamom and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using rose water. Keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a broad non-stick pan, when it starts boiling, add the cornflour mixture, mix well and simmer till it coats the back of a spoon, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, add the sugar substitute and prepared thandai paste, mix well and pour into an air-tight container.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Blend in a mixer till it is slushy and mix well.
- Pour back into an air-tight container and freeze till the ice-cream is set.
- Serve chilled.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per small scoop
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.