Tendli Bhaat ( Jain Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19740 times
Ripe green tendlis, long grains of rice and aromatic spices cooked to perfection in a maharashtrian style. This dish is almost sure to leave the diners asking for more!
- Wash and soak the rice for about 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the cumin seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the tendli and rice and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, half the spice powder and salt and mix well. Saute for a another 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and cook on slow flame till the rice is tender.
- Add ¼ cup grated coconut and the remaining half of the spice powder. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes on a very slow flame.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coconut, coriander and the fried cashewnuts.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.