Tamarind Rice( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 131227 times
This rice preparation is well-known all over south india, although there are likely to be mild variations in the way it is performed in various regions. Since most ingredients used in this recipe are dried or pre-processed spices, it remains good for a long time and is ideal to pack and take along when travelling.
- Heat a small pan, add all the ingredients and dry roast on a slow flame for 5 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the peanuts and sauté on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they turn light pink in colour while stirring continuously.
- Add the chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tamarind pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Add the prepared masala, rice and salt and toss gently. Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||45.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||4.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.