Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18951 times
The classic light and airy roll. Can be served both as a cake and as a pudding.
- Use a 225 mm. x 350 mm. ( 9"x 14") Swiss roll tin for the larger mixture and a 175 mm.x 275 mm. (7"x 11") tin for the smaaler mixture. Prepare the tin as follows - apply melted butter, put greaseproof paper over it and apply melted butter once agai
- Prepare the mixture as for sponge cake for puddings.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared Swiss roll tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 450 F. for approx. 7 to 9 minutes.
- When the roll is springy to touch. taake out immediately. This is most important because an over - barked roll will crack whilst rolling.
- Sprinkle a sheet of greaseproof paper lavishly with powdered sugar.
- Invert the roll on this sheet and than peel off the paper from the top.
- Make a roll with the help of the sugared paper. Allow to cool for same time.
- When the roll is cold, gently unroll and fill with jam or lemon cream.
- Reroll, sprinkle wirh poedered sugar.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- Swiss roll makes an excellent pudding if covered with fresh sweetened cream or thin custard and chilled. If making chocolate roll, use only fresh-----
- ---- cream.
- You may use raspberry jam instead of lemon butter cream.
- VARIATIONS : CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL
- Proceed as for Swiss roll using ingredients for a chocolate sponge cake instead of basic sponge cake. Fill with sweetened whipped cream.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.