Swiss Roll ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49546 times
These classic light and airy rolls can be served either as a cake or as a pudding.
- Sieve the icing sugar and add lemon rind to it and keep aside. Cream the icing margarine using a wooden spoon till it is light and smooth.
- Gradually, add the sieved icing sugar and lemon rind and cream till all the icing sugar is added.
- Add the lemon essence and lemon yellow colour and mix well. Keep aside.
- Line a 200 mm. X 300 mm. (8"x 12") swiss roll tin with greaseproof or butter paper. Keep aside.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda bi-carb together. Keep aside.
- Combine the condensed milk and butter in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add the vanilla essence and whisk well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix gently using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200?c (400?f) for 15 to 20 minutes until it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, remove from the oven and leave aside for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to unmould the cake along with the butter paper. Keep aside.
- Soak the sponge (along with the butter paper when still warm) lightly with the sugar syrup. Make a cut along one side of the cake using a serrated knife.
- Spread the lemon butter cream icing evenly on the sponge, leaving 2 tbsp aside to finish the cake.
- Carefully lift one end of the butter paper and roll up the sponge.
- After you finish rolling, wrap it in the sme butterpaper and refrigerate to set for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 12 mm. (½“) slices.
- Fill a disposable piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle, page 30, with lemon butter cream icing. Make parallel lines on individual serving plates,.
- Then cross these lines with another set of parallel lines to make a net, applying gentle pressure on the piping bag.
- Once the net is set place the slices over it and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.