Sweet and Sour Tomato Pickle
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 387 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33824 times
Take advantage of the summer's tomato glut and make this pickle with a natural savoury flavour and a bright orange red colour. This cooked pickle is sweet and sour, thick and garlicky with the added crunch of chopped carrots and the aroma of whole spices. It makes a wholesome replacement for market ketchup. Use firm, fresh and ripe tomatoes when they are in season.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water. Peel the skin and cut each into 2 halves. Squeeze out the juice and seeds. Keep the tomato flesh and juice aside separately.
- Strain the tomato juice discard the seeds. Add the sugar to the tomato juice and leave aside for ½ hour.
- Chop the tomato flesh into large pieces.
- In a pan, add the tomato juice-sugar mixture, tomato pieces, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, cloves, black cardamom, ginger and red chillies and cook over a very slow flame, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 40 to 45 minutes until the mixture has reduced to less than half its original quantity and the syrup is of one string consistency.
- Remove from the fire and cool completely. Add the acetic acid, nigella seeds, chilli powder, nutmeg, mace, almonds and salt and mix well.
- Bottle in a sterilised glass jar and store refrigerated for upto 1 year.
- Glacial acetic acid is a concentrate that is used in commercially prepared vinegar (95% water+5% acetic acid).
- You will find it at all chemist shops.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||1346.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||90.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||101.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.