Sweet Coconut Modak
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14090 times
Modak is a sweet dumpling recipe popular in western and south india, especially as a favorite sweet dish to be served to lord ganesha. The rice flour based dumpling are filled with sweet coconut and jaggery based filling and served hot with sugar syrupa and ghee.
- Boil 1 1/4 cups water in a deep pan, add the salt and 1/2 tsp ghee, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the rice flour, mix well and remove from the flame.
- Cover and keep aside for 12-15 minutes.
- Knead into a soft dough with greased hands and keep aside.
- Combine the coconut and jaggery in a pan, mix well and saute till the jaggery dissolves and coconut turns golden brown.
- Add the cardamom powder, mix well and remove from the flame and cool.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and shape a portion into a shape of circle using greased palms.
- Stuff a portion of the coconut stuffing and form plates with light finger and then fold it together into a modak shape.
- Steam the modak in a steamer for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve hot with desi ghee.
This recipe was contributed by shahreema on 08 Oct 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.