Subzi Dal ( Indian Cooking)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1670 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 69482 times
Just a look at the ingredients list of this recipe will speak volumes about it!
Tasty and satiating, the Subzi Dal is a wholesome combination of multiple dals with an assortment of vegetables, flavoured with the usual team of ingredients like tomatoes, onions, green chillies, etc., and a traditional tempering that elevates the aroma.
This irresistible preparation is not only tasty but also colourful; and it has an interesting texture too, thanks to the wide range of ingredients. Serve it hot and fresh with your favourite Rotis / Puris / Parathas .
- Combine the dals and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Mash it lightly with the back of the spoon and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger-green chilli paste and garlic paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mixed vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dals, 2 cups water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
Subzi Dal Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.