Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 10909 times
Crispy, flaky and superbly flavoured deep-fried 'mathris' or 'mathis' snack can be stored for several days. These are eaten with a spicy mango or lemon pickle and are often served with tea.
- Combine the plain flour, ghee, salt and enough water, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add all the ingredients and sauté over a slow flame till the besan turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool completely and divide the filling into 5 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 50 mm. (2") diameter circle.
- Place one portion of the filling in the centre of each rolled dough circle and bring the ends together so as to seal the filling inside completely.
- Roll out the stuffed dough circle to make a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle taking care to ensure the filling does not spill out.
- Pinch the sides of the mathri using your finger tips.
- Pinch the surface of the rolled out mathri so as to form a design.
- Prick the mathri all over with a fork.
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 with the remaining portions of the dough and filling.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the mathris till they are half cooked.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry again on a slow flame
- Till they are golden brown in colour.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- Serve with pickle or masala tea.
This recipe was contributed by sumagandlur on 04 Oct 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.