Stuffed Karelas in Makhani Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 510 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71786 times
Karela is a low calorie vegetable which is acclaimed for its anti-diabetic properties. This recipe is an attempt to make them appealing. The karelas are stuffed with moong dal and served in a makhani gravy that is made using very little oil. Enriched with protein, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and fibre, this recipe is a delectable way to savour this "not so popular" vegetable.
- Peel the bitter gourd and keep the peel aside for use in another recipe (Karela Theplas).
- Slit each one lengthwise. Using a sharp knife, scoop out the insides carefully creating a hollow in the centre. Apply a little salt to the inside and outside of the bitter gourd and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the soaked moong dal, green chilli, ginger, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water, cover and allow the dal to cook on a slow flame till it is soft and sticky.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well. Cool a little.
- Fill this mixture into the bitter gourd and steam them for 10 to 15 minutes till they are cooked. Cut each karela into 2 and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and red pumpkin with ¾ cup of water and cook over a slow flame till the tomatoes and pumpkin are soft. Allow to cool completely and remove the cloves and cinnamon and discard them.
- Blend the mixture into a smooth purée.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the puréed tomato mixture, kasoori methi, chilli powder and salt and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the milk and add it to the prepared gravy. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Place the steamed bitter gourd on a serving plate and pour the hot makhani gravy over it.
- Serve hot with chapatis.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.