Stuffed Karela By vinodsharma
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6433 times
The delicious stuffed karela or bitter gourds recipe for both karela lovers and those who shy away from the bitter karela taste. The spicy onion masala stuffing works wonders with karela and potatoes. The stuffed karelas are best enjoyed with roti.
- Roughly peel the karelas (don't peel the cover completely)
- In boiling, water add some salt and put the karelas in it.
- When the karelas become a bit softer take them out of the water.
- Let them cool and put a slit lenghtwise in all karelas.
- Remove the seeds from inside of all karelas.
- Mix wheat flour,little turmeric powder and salt.
- Now, apply the mixture inside and out side of the karelas and keep asides for 1/2 hour.
- This will reduce the bitterness of the karelas.
- In a pan take 2 tbsp of oil and heat it.
- Add onions to it and fry.
- When the onions are a bit soft add garlic and ginger to it.
- Then add all the spices except salt and sugar and fry for few minutes.
- When the mixture becomes browns add salt and 1tsp of sugar to it .
- Taste it and adjust salt accordingly.
- Take out the mixture from the pan in some other container and let it cool.
- Now stuff this mixture in all the karelas tightly.
- Tie thread all around the karelas so that the mixture doesn't comes out from the slit.
- In the pan put rest of the oil and heat it.
- Put all the stuffed karelas in the pan and fry it, till it is golden brown.
- Take care that the stuffing doesn't comes out of the karelas.
- Now, sprinkle some sugar all over the karelas.
- Cover and cook for few minutes.
- Check out whether the karelas are cooked properly by sticking a fork in it.
- While serving remove the threads.
This recipe was contributed by vinodsharma on 23 Jan 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.