Stuffed Karela By sonalib
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25089 times
Pesarattu or green moong dal dosa is basically an Andhra specialty but has now been adopted in other cuisines as well. A much healthier version of dosa or rice pancakes, green moong dosa is prepared with soaked whole green moong and salt. A perfect breakfast option!
Add your private note
Stuffed Karela By sonalib recipe - How to make Stuffed Karela By sonalib
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Turmeric Powder: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon
Dhania Powder: 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste oil for frying
Coriander/cilantro for garnish.
Paste: 2 to 3 cloves of garlic (lehsun) a small piece ginger (adrak)
3-4 Jalopenos (Green Chilies)
Karelas: 7-8 medium sized
1 medium sized onion.
Besan: 1 tablespoon
Roasted Peanuts: 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice: 1 teaspoon
Sugar: 1/2 teaspoon
- Peel the karelas. cut the karelas from middle and remove the inner filling (seeds etc). sprinkle about 2 teaspoons salt on them and let it soak for couple of hours (1-2 hours) in a plate.
- Chop the onions. grind the roasted peanuts in a dry grinder.
- Put a pan on the gas and pour about 1 tablespoon of oil in it. saute the onions till light brown. add besan and peanut powder in at same time. add garlic/ginger/chilly paste. add turmeric, dhania powder and sprinkle salt to taste. add desired amount of sugar and lemon juice. mix it all up and cook for 5 mins on the gas. then let the filling cool.
- On the other side, remove the karelas from the salt. squeeze the karelas to remove the bitterness. now fill up the filling in the karelas.
- In a flat pan, put like 2-3 teaspoons of oil. put the karelas in the pan and cover the pan with the lid on a low flame. after about 5 minutes turn the karelas (making sure the filling does not come out). now cover the pan again. you can also cook on medium flame to make the karelas crispy.
- You can turn the flame off after making sure that the karelas are cooked. garnish with coriander leaves.
- Using conventional oven:
- 1. after filling the karelas and cook them in oven on about 250 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till they become crispy.
- Tastes great with parathas or rotis. enjoy!
This recipe was contributed by sonalib on 19 Nov 2000
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.