Stuffed Karela (low Fat)
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17689 times
The delicious and low fat stuffed bitter gourds (karela) recipe which is going to appeal to all. The spicy onion masala stuffing in the slit karelas or bitter gourd work wonders and is best enjoyed with paranthas.
- Wash kerala thoroughly with water. if keralas are of longer variety, cut them into pieces of 3 inch size. remove skin of all the pieces by scraping with a sharp knife.
- Keep the skin aside. slit the karelas length wise. remove the seeds. discard the seeds if very hard, otherwise mix them with the skin scrape.
- Take 1 tsp salt and apply it thoroughly to all the pieces of karelas. keep aside for about 1 hour.
- Mix 1 tsp salt to karela skin and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a non sticking frying pan and add 2 tsp oil. when the oil becomes hot, add cummin seeds and hing. when the seeds becomes dark, add onion, green chili, ginger and garlic. cook for 2-3 minutes and add all the spices and besan. stir well and cook until the mixture turns light brown, about 5-7 minutes. mix half the coriander leaves.
- Take the karela skin in a sieve and wash thoroughly with water. add it to the washed skin scrape above mixture and stir.
- Wash the karelas with water. fill the above mixture in each karela.
- Heat a non sticking frying pan and spray oil. place all the karelas in the pan, cover with a lid and reduce the stove to low. let them cook for 5-7 minutes. change the side of karelas and again cover with the lid. kook for 5-7 minutes. sprinkle coriander leaves.
This recipe was contributed by vinodsharma on 23 Jan 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.