Stuffed Capsicum in Tomato Gravy ( Diabetic Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 157 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 141701 times
Capsicum, stuffed with a mixed vegetable and low-fat paneer stuffing, is drowned in a generously-spiced tomato gravy to provide a flavourful boost of fibre and vitamin A. Not too much oil and no cream either, but still luscious, the Stuffed Capsicum in Tomato Gravy uses very little cornflour along with low-fat milk mixture and red pumpkin for thickening. This diabetic-friendly recipe is indeed a treat to the taste buds.
- Cut the tops of the capsicum and scoop out the centre and seeds and discard them.
- Drop the capsicum shells in boiling water and blanch for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the mixed vegetables, low-fat paneer, chilli powder, green chillies, salt, coriander and 1 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Lightly mash using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and stuff each blanched capsicum with a portion of the stuffing. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and low-fat milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, red pumpkin, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and 1¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes and red pumpkin turn soft.
- Keep aside to cool completely and remove the cloves and cinnamon and discard them.
- Blend the mixture in a mixer into a smooth purée and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the puréed tomato mixture, chilli powder, salt and cornflour-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, garam masala and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, reheat the tomato gravy.
- Arrange the stuffed capsicum on a serving plate and pour the hot tomato gravy over it.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 95 kcal|
|Protein|| 5.2 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 12.2 gm|
|Fat|| 2.9 gm|
|Fibre|| 3.0 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 889.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.