Stuffed Brinjal and Onion Khichdi ( Zero Oil Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49565 times
Another dish with a combination of stuffed vegetables and khichdi, which are mixed together and pressure cooked till done. You can use vegetables of your choice or whatever is available at home. Not only is this dish colourful and palatable, the horde of ingredients makes it nutritious too. Masoor dal enhances the iron content of this dish whereas rice and potatoes contribute to its zinc content.
- Make criss-cross slits on the onions and brinjals, taking care not to separate the segments. Keep aside.
- Slit the tendli lengthwise taking care not to separate the segments. Keep aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well to make the stuffing.
- Stuff each of the onions, brinjals, and tendli with a little of the prepared stuffing. Keep the remaining stuffing aside if any.
- Clean, wash and soak the brown rice and masoor dal for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Crush the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom lightly in a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta) and keep aside.
- Heat the pressure cooker and when hot, add the onions and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour.
- Add the crushed spices and bayleaves and dry roast on a medium flame for about 30 seconds.
- Add the brown rice, masoor dal, green chilli, turmeric powder and garlic paste and mix well.
- Add the stuffed vegetables, salt, the remaining stuffing and 2 cups of hot water, mix gently and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly using a fork. Keep aside.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.