Strength Shorba, Bombay Curry Soup with Spinach
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 178 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24542 times
Shorbas or Indian soups are characterised by their tongue-tickling flavours and rich mouth-feel too. This Strength Shorba, for instance, is a dal based delight that has a luscious texture owing to the dal and spinach being blended with onions, tomatoes, etc. A dash of spice powders, especially curry powder, along with a tinge of lemon, gives the Strength Shorba a really invigorating aroma and flavour, which are sure to kindle your appetite and refresh your senses!
Both masoor dal and spinach being rich in iron, this soup helps to increase haemoglobin, which is responsible for carrying nutrients and oxygen to all parts of our body. Lemon juice being a good source of vitamin C improves the absorption of iron. Tomatoes, on the other hand, are burgeoning with vitamins A and C, which are potent antioxidants that rid our body of harmful free radicals.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, masoor dal, chilli powder, curry powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool completely and blend in a mixer till smooth using 3/4 cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.