For the sponge cake1/4 can condensed milk (full can is 400 grams)70 gms plain flour (maida)1/2 tsp baking powder a pinch soda bi-carbonate30 ml melted butter or margarine1/2 tsp vanilla essence
rind of 1 large orange or 1 teaspoon marmalade
To be mixed into a soaking syrup3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
To be mixed into a strawberry filling
1/2 cup strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped coarsely 6 tbsp powdered sugar
For the custard1 cup milk2 tbsp custard powder1 tbsp sugar
For the garnish1/4 cup fresh strawberries2 tbsp castor sugar
For the sponge roll
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C (400 degree F).
2. Line a 200 mm. into 300 mm. (8" into 12") Swiss roll tin with grease-proof or waxed paper and set aside.
3. Ina bowl, mix the ingredients with the orange rind and 30 ml. of water and beat well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared Swiss roll tin and smoothen the edges.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the sponge is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with the fingertips.
For the custard
1. Dissolve the custard powder in a little cold milk.
2. Boil the rest of the milk with the sugar.
3. Add the custard powder and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Cool and keep aside in the refrigerator.
How to proceed
1. Soak the sponge lightly with the refrigerated soaking syrup.
2. Spread the cold custard on the sponge.
3. Spoon the strawberry filling evenly over the custard.
4. Carefully lift one end of the greaseproof paper and roll up the sponge.
5. Transfer to a serving dish. Arrange the whole strawberries over and around the roll. Sprinkle the castor sugar over it.